Sunday, March 24, 2013

Barbie is just a DOLLLL.

Today many  moms don't approve Barbie for their little girls. Not even bags which have barbies on them.

They want their girls to have Dora bags or anything else, but not her. I even heard that in 1995  Saudi Arabia banned the sale and purchasing of Barbies because it violated strict dress code for women

Poor she !

I asked my neighbor who shopped with me for her daughter's school bag and stationary, who just started school. According to her a bag with barbie will  have   a negative influence on her.

Total monkey shit.

Barbies are just doll... a plastic dolls for girls to play. Nothing more, nothing else.  Kids don't see her boobs, curves or makeup. It is adults whose minds are dirty. They stares  at her boobs, not small kids in a way like this toy is for them to  play.

Kids  play with them, and get over with they once they hit 12-13.  This is parents who are creating fuss over her. Kids have no idea what body is or what beauty concepts are. OK, they know but still  they don't give hoot about it, because in their minds they are just playing with them, and those plastic toys are DOLLS. They don't care whether their dolls are black, fat or hijabi. I my self had so many Barbies, even china made fake Barbies, local plastic dolls and my friends had too. We played  with them so many games, stitched their  dresses, did their weddings with teddy bears, if we were short of Kens.

Those were good days.  Parents  of our generation were not  freaks. Their main  focus was doing good parenting, not bitching about her. In long term it panned out  had no such  psychological effect that me or any of my friend wanted to be like her. It is not Barbie who wants girls to be thin, it is their personal choice. Kids learn from home, society, environment, peers etc, etc. When they see their mom is doing dieting, they pick body concept from there.

I never heard 6 or 9 year old girl saying I want to be like a Barbie when they grow up. Kids are not that dumb. They love to dress up like spider man, superman, Barbie or princes because this is what they like at that certain age. Once they grow up they get over with them. It is adults who are obsessed with her.  They are doing researches and  exploring her.

And still if there are  gals who really really want to be like, must   have some chemical loocha in their brains.


Or  if this is a case then I will let my daughter to play with her. I will want her to have influence on her. At least she will be like Barbie, not some dumbo Dora who does not know where the keys are, or what comes after G.
 .




25 comments:

  1. Pretty cool,i must say:D...Dora!even i don't like her:p..barbies are sweet:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree - kids minds are conditionned by adults thinking. In their own mindset Barbie is a doll and they are just enjoying playing with and creating scenes out of their imagination, nothing more.
    Take care Izdiher

    ReplyDelete
  3. dora was such a hilarious dumb little girl haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had Barbie dolls.. Other dolls I did. Never wanted to become one, really. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haww, how can people have anything against poor Barbie?
    Its really sad to see the dirty mindsets of people these days :/

    xx
    Hopelessly Hopeful
    http://hopeihadasuperexcitingsecretlife.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading your posts :), and you are so right in what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really have a problem with Barbies, I have a couple(sewing doll clothes is a hobby)and would not really mind giving them to any daughter I might have. The thing about barbie though is that it is part of this onslaught of things that we are all exposed to that give us unreal expectations about body image. Barbie's super skinny, exaggerated hour glass figure, along with wafer thin models and ads that promote this image of beauty being thin and tall are going to negatively impact a girls self esteem. Girls that are only slightly plump, or short and pear shaped that don't fit this exaggeration of the female form will always be wishing for something that isn't real or healthy.

    The problem isn't so much barbie as the whole culture of thin and tall being beautiful, and short/fat/round shaped as not beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbie is just a doll and girls see her as a toy.
    x
    Stella from a A Shiny Place

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHAHA! So true!!! I played with barbies and so did all my friends, but I never wanted to be a barbie when I grew up! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a sweet post! Yeah Barbie dolls will stay and keep influencing the little girls for all the right reasons:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post gave me a good laugh..
    How old is barbie now by the way?
    Only older men would look at barbie in a very perverted way

    ReplyDelete
  12. People have bad habit of making fuss over nothing. I say that if you want your child to have good influences then start changing your attitude first. It's a famous saying here that homes are the first school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, this kind of thing goes on over here as well, people all over the world are just too uptight now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ifrah, that seems to be the way of the world these days. Whether in home, city, country, continent, we bring out and focus on little inconsequential things (Barbie!) in hopes that the world's peoples will forget the REAL issues, political filth, greed, self-centeredness of leaders, a world going down the toilet financially, morally, physically, and OH! What must God think about us NOW?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to watch barbie because the colur they play are so pretty but not to buy a barbie doll. As a muslim like me, we can't play a doll that nothing different with human. We just can play doll not same like human (old fashion doll). About how they dress, nowadays barbie's clothes seem not have enough fabric. Too sexy and unsuitable for muslim kids. Yes u are right that child when they grow up, they doesn't want to be a barbie. But how the muslim teenagers wearings today? And i'm not afraid to say that muslim and non are same...not wearing hijab, girl and boy like doesnt have gab. So may i asked u something? When we will win to fight with israel if muslim always have day dreaming? Lastly, kids always learn when they young. We must teach them do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Childhood isn't complete without Barbies. I mean, playing these dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, to an extent studies have show that Barbies have a negative affect on young girls. It's not about the dress code, but body image. Children grow up believing barbie to have the ideal body image, but, in reality, her body is disproportionate. It's not the only factor, but a contributing one to young girl's unhealthy relationships with their bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ;-) mommies are freaking out over barbies. im planning to buy my sister's a barbie. she's still 7year old and she's really asking for a barbie doll.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, I don't care if my future daughters want Barbie dolls.Though I'll try and raise them to be gamers instead. :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL...I find this both funny and thought provoking. I agree that children do not think the way adults do. I used to play with Barbie dolls too with my sister and the idea of having a Barbie-like body never entered our minds. We put so much emphasis on psychology, maybe even projecting our own needs to the subject...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree as well. I still can't believe Barbie can freak out a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  22. totally agree. last line was hilarious =)

    ReplyDelete