A BLOG

A BLOG

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Reading in bus...a public issue.



Today   a woman in bus commented on my reading.

"Dekho beeta, bus mein parhney akakhon key leaye acha nahai......something"

"See, Reading in   a bus is not good for vision."

I stopped reading immediately. Closed my book and hide in my back pack without saying a word.


 Kahein nazer na laga dey.

 I stopped reading because I don't want to be jinxed.It was again an elderly woman on bus sitting next to me  told me about jinxing  couple of years ago. She was very spiritual type with tassbe in her right hand.

"Dekho beeta, don't read in front of everyone, people don't read, so they will jinx. Nazer laga dein gy"

Sorry to say I am more convince with jinxing thing.Allah maaf kaery.  This was not the first time. People (read: women) always comment on my reading, stare and sometimes  make faces.

When you travel in bus you meet so many people. They all have their own theories. I may not stop reading but how I say without being rude " People should start reading in Pakistan instead of commenting on others."



My problem is that I have to read, and it's a quite long route. And because it is a long route and I am out most of the time, riding on bus is where I get time, a proper forty five  minutes time to read books, prepare my lectures and presentations.


Should not I make most  of that time?


How I passe my long route?


By talking with stranger women or  looking out?


Thank you, but no thank you.

When I got back first thing I did was Googling " Is reading in bus harmful for eyes?"

I am copy pasting what I found on New York Times:

"""Reading in the car is not really bad for your health, although it can make you feel bad,” said Dr. Michael G. Stewart, chairman of the department of otorhinolaryngology at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College.
 “The issue is the disconnect between what your eyes see and your body feels, which can give you vertigo”The problem with reading in the car is that your vision is fixed on an object that is not moving, but your body and inner ear perceive motion, so it can induce vertigo in some,” Dr. Stewart said. 

“The best cure is to regularly look up, and regain your visual perspective of motion, but even then, the action of focusing on the book while your body feels motion can briefly induce vertigo.”

"" If you can read in the car without its bothering you, it’s O.K. to do,” Dr. Stewart said. “If you have a hard time, avoid it, or do it only for brief intervals, trying to keep your perspective on motion as much as possible.”

Alhumdu Allah I never had issue of dizziness so far, not even a headache. In simplewords, it is Ok to read unless you ain't stressing your eyes. However, just because of this bilawajaey ka tokna, (like people do) I am seriously thinking about buying a good mobile phone where I have option of FM or other things to kill  my time on being bus.


Hot dudes reading books.

6 comments:

  1. I love reading and I love reading if I am on public transport and like you I sometimes used to work while travelling. It is not harming anyone so good for you Ifrah! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do not really read books, only if it is so interesting and has a meaning. I cant read in a public plc. thanks for sharing
    happy val.
    http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/ (new post)

    ReplyDelete
  3. read when ever you can...I used to read at a rate that astounded people, but my vision issues have made it difficult (reading actually hurts. but so does seeing, but that is another story). Yes everyone every where should read as much as they can

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love reading but yes it is possible that reading can make eyes weak on the bus due to it moving constantly which can be put a strain. BUT I also know a lot of people who still read on the buss or in the car. As far as NAZAR is concerned if it is suppose to effect you it will no matter what you are doing so might as well do it :)

    xx
    Maliha Rao / Red Alice Rao

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say, do not stop reading of it doesn't bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. reading in public or while travelling is up to us. I don't think it should be an issue or problem for others! If we are comfortable read anywhere ( publicly) people shouldn't mind!
    Nice post and hot dude! :))

    ReplyDelete

'FOLLOW" me.