Heat wave has killed up at least 260 people over past three days in southern Pakistan, mostly here in Karachi.
This is the worst heat wave we have ever seen so far. Even in the evening things are not cooling off.
The government of Pakistan has declared an emergency at hospitals. The military has put up relief camps for heat affected people.
Cherry on the top, there is electricity crisis in so many areas which is making this weather more unbearable. People are protesting, sleeping in parks and beaches.
It is getting so hot that I am waking up in my sweat. Sleeping on bed is becoming impossible. And Allah knows till how long it is gonna be like that.
It rained little on Monday in some areas.
Due to my summer break, I am not going out in the morning or noon so I am much safe from getting any heat stroke. I am also keeping our balcony door and curtains shut from 12:00 am till 5:30pm. After that we let the air come till the dawn. This keeps our house cool.
My other solution to kill Karachi heat (100F today, we had 104F yesterday, I had reached up to 111F) is doing bucket challenge type thingy means going to bath room and dumping water buckets on myself after ever half an hour.
And it is working.
Keep your self cool.
- Keep your self hydrated. Drink plenty of water as much as you can in this heat.
- ORS and lemonade with salt and sugar is also very good to prevent dehydration.
- Avoid going out as much as possible, but if it necessary to go out, keep a water bottle with you, stay in shade.
- Block out direct sun and other heat sources.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothes.
- Wear hats, scarf and topi.
- Use sun protection, sun block or sun lotion.
If you see any one getting heat stroke:
- Take him/her immediately to the hospital
- Keep him/her in shady, cool air-conditional room.
- Remove unnecessary clothes.
- Wet the body with cold water.
- Apply Ice packs to armpits, neck and back.
- Give him/her water, lessi , or juice to drink if in conscious condition.
- Give him/her ORS immediately.
- If in hospital, preferred route is Intravenous IV fluid.